Working @ Home with Essays.ph

UPDATE: Please refer to this site :) for more updates about freelance writing in the Philippines AND about Essays.PH


Sorry, people. It isn't the femme fatale Raven Futel writing now.

I'm writing as Kristine. :)

As most of you know, I was in Poland for the past year as an English teacher. (I guess most of my Grando Espada friends know that since I threw a goodbye party for them before I left ;p) When I came back from Europe, I was in a complete reverse culture shock. (read: crying every day) And I knew that one thing that could make me at least move on with my PH life is to get a job.

So I tried passing my resume to various companies and job websites.

I'm a 2008 graduate of AB Communication Arts in UST, and I did get job offers; both in snail mail and email. However, it isn't in my mindset to work as a call center agent/marketing trainee/medical representative or whatever and however you want to call it.

And then I thought and thought. I scoured for freelance websites and job openings both in the PH and abroad.

..then I stumbled upon Essays.ph.

I told myself, 'Why not give it a try? You're just staying at home anyway.' (And not to mention running out of savings from EU, LOL.)

So I signed up on August 3, 2009. I was ecstatic that finally - woo. I could do something productive aside from chatting with my friends, Facebooking, playing online games and everything else. I got an email that day, as well, saying that I could sign up in the forums. So I did.

Read everything, blah blah...OK, G-Cash, I'll be writer 2..blah blah...rewards, ooo, nice.

Then I went on to see my and check what assignments were available.

I still remember the first assignment I got while I was in the gray team: it was about registry cleaners. Being the techie girl that I am, I typed and typed and typed, but then my laziness crept in...Since I had to produce 5 different versions of each paragraph, on the third or fourth version, I actually dragged. HAHAH. Yeah. Writer's block. But I managed to finish it, anyway.

The second assignment I got was about MIND POWER - and it was better. I watched 'The Secret' with my friends in PL and it was exactly about mind power, so I applied it. I finished 3 assignment sets from Mind Power in 2 days, I think. Not bad.

I woke up on August 12 and checked the Cyber Office.
Woot. Messages. WOW POINTS :P

I was excited to see 1140 points under the name 'krysia' (woohoo) and true enough, it was worth 1140 points. But I wanted more, of course. Who doesn't? :p

So I logged in again, but pfft. I thought I had a bug. I was using Firefox and the images weren't showing up and I couldn't see the reply buttons and everything else @_@ causing me to think that something was wrong because that morning, I was transferred to the red team. (I remember PMing Sir Neil asking about it...then I thought of switching to IE and damn it works.)

Yup, after 6 days, I was in the red team.

I
wasn't on probation anymore, woohoo. I could get assignments alreadywhenever I want. :D

I also remember getting three assignment sets about HDTVs, finishing a World of Warcraft (or MMORPG, in general) article in about less than 30 minutes, and writing other sets which I really love in less than 8 hours.

(Oh yeah, cuz I'm also saving up for that quest with rewards: 10 Assignment Sets, less than 8 hours = 1000 points :D I need one more, woot.)

As I type this on September 8, I cashed out a total of 6,000 PHP from Essays.PH. Don't ask me how many articles I've written because it was a lot - but I don't care. It's something that I worked for, anyway. And it felt good. I have been earning my own money but somehow, it still makes you feel like you've accomplished something... you feel fulfilled.


Working for Essays.PH allows me to control my own time (well, except for deadlines) and my own money when I want and need it. If I don't like the assignment topics, then I don't get any. But if I do, well, I can take more than one in one day. Essays.ph made me realize my love for writing one more time, and it gives me the opportunity to further enhance and use my passion for the English language.

I haven't been getting assignments for the past week (or maybe a week and a half) because I was also doing some work abroad which is really time-consuming..but I know I'd always come back to Essays.PH. (Oh sorry, I've just written an assignment yesterday, anyway :D)

Like what the advice bot on top of the Cyber Office always tells me:
We hope we can shape the true writer in you.




And I guess they have already shaped me. :)




Join me @ Essays.PH

Visit www.essays.ph for more information, or you can take a look at our CyberOffice at forums.essays.ph



P.S.
The only 3 revisions that I got were:
1.) I thought it was only 250 words - but it was 400...or 500?
2.) Something was wrong with the zip file @_@
3.) I forgot to change the font, font size and put titles


P.P.S.
Wait! Earn money while you're reading this.
It doesn't take even 5 minutes of your daily
internet surfing habits! :)
Click here...
...or here
...get $10 here..
...or maybe here :)

Comments

Win! said…
Wow! interesting read. makes me wanna apply to essays. how i wish i could have written also about mind matter or positive mindset. don't you think i could have been fit in? :)
Malds Menzon said…
I apologize for the 4 month necro but I've been researching essays for a bit now and found your post.

I've been scouring the net for the pay rate that essays.ph gives out before I apply but I haven't found an accurate source yet.

mind if I ask how much they pay per project? like how much per article and whats the minimum word count per article?

I'm really interested in the site but I wanna make sure that the pay is decent before I write the test article.

Hope you can help :)
Anonymous said…
hello. i just had a bad experience about EPH. i know you're on their side but i hope you will take time to read.

http://zeronopebl.tumblr.com/post/4574613401/word
Malds Menzon said…
If you wanna make a career out of freelance writing Peb then you should stop applying to writing companies/groups. It's nice to work for one for a month or two just for experience but your placing yourself in a position where the people you work for are cutting your pay. End goal should be to find your own clients and get the pay directly from them and in full.

Read your post on tumbler and it's sad that they only paid you 900 pesos. For a beginner on Odesk, freelancer or elance you can probably earn that much by writing maybe 10 articles at $2 each which is really cheap already. For someone a lot more experienced, you can earn that with just one or two articles, and still for others you can earn double that with just one.

But that's web content writing and copy-writing. I never applied for essays since I read bad things about it and the pay is too low for me. I was planning to though and now I'm glad that I didn't bother writing the test article.

Best you head over to Odesk and apply to job posts or check craigslist manila out. Make sure you know what you're doing though and the specific demands of the employers. A lot of them don't have the time to train new hires.

Good luck and I hope you find a decent paying job soon.
joanna said…
hi.i've readthe comments in your wall.....i just want to ask if this is true.i was confused if i can still continue to register after i've read the comment of pebl..
joanna said…
hi,good day..i saw this essay.ph in the news and i'm interested to join,but when i read the comment of peb i was confused if i still want to join...can you give a proof or anything that would convince me that this is true..

thanks for your time in reading this comment..and i hope for your king response.God bless.
From what I've read in other people's testimonies, it seems to me that essays.ph pays peanuts compared to other article writing/SEO companies out there who pay big bucks to their employees or subcontractors.

I've often read that essays.ph only pays P300 per BATCH (not per article) finished. That means you'll be doing five 500 word articles and only get paid P300. Converting that to useful language in the freelance world, you only get paid $1.00 per article written. That is VERY DISMAL. Other companies offer rates far higher than that, usually $5-$10 an article, sometimes even $20.

So to potential freelance writers, look somewhere else for work. Stop cheapening industry standards. I say go to other companies that offer higher pay and refuse to work in these sweatshop companies until they either a) raise pay or b) disappear from the face of the Earth.

Uphold industry standards people. In the long-run, working for sweatshop companies like these would only mean loss for everyone - including you.

Popular posts from this blog

GPoints in the Philippines!

The Royal Rumble